Painted Leather Workshop
In this workshop, we explore the art of painting with style and vibrancy on what many consider to be a precious material: leather. We’ve collaborated with artist Kel Cadet-Lyons of R-KI-TEKT in a craft honoring culture, art and design. Together, we’ve hand-selected a variety of paint brushes and bright, playful hues to create a harmonious dance of colors and patterns on your exquisite white leather clutch. Kel walks you through her step-by-step tutorial while sharing her personal color theory, simultaneously exploring surface treatments and patterns in using an oil-based marker to add contrast and details.
Kel encourages you to unearth your power in creativity, drawing inspiration from things in your life that bring you happiness as you test and hone skills using your new collection of tools and materials. Continue your exploration by utilizing found objects in your home as your next painting tool, or using leftover paints to breathe new life into a favorite leather piece. Ultimately, Kel hopes to help you release any intimidation surrounding customization of this style and walk away with a stunning leather clutch you’ll be proud to carry.
This workshop includes:
- A detailed, digital workshop by Kel Cadet-Lyons
- A live Maker Chat Q&A for our community to join in creative conversation
- Tools and materials from artisan suppliers, curated for you, by Kel
The tools & materials included in our kit:
- 6.75” x 4.75” Chrome tanned leather clutch in white
- Angelus leather acrylic paint in Dark Bone, 1oz
- Angelus leather acrylic paint in Gift Box Blue, 1oz
- Angelus leather acrylic paint in Georgia Peach, 1oz
- Angelus leather acrylic paint in Cognac, 1oz
- Round brush, size 16
- 1” Flat brush
- Oil-based paint marker, black
- Mini painter’s palette
This listing is for the Minnetonka Community Education x Crafter partnership program, only eligible for students of Minnetonka Community Education.
- Make Time:
- A couple of hours
- Kit Type: