Broom Making: Woven Whisk Workshop
Brush up on this modernized 16th-century craft with our custom broom making kit. Led by Alyssa Blackwell of Hearth Craft Brooms, this workshop teaches you everything you need to know about how to make a whisk broom with a decorative woven handle and hanging cord so you can put it proudly on display. The tools & materials provided in this kit will make three complete hand brooms.
Under Alyssa’s expertise, you’ll master the step-by-step process of creating a small whisk broom. Skills you’ll learn include a specialized technique to secure broomcorn with twine cording, how to add split broomcorn stalks, and weaving decorative patterns for the handle. If you run into an issue, don’t worry—Alyssa will show you how to sweep it under the rug and make a beautiful piece.
This workshop includes:
- A detailed, digital workshop by Alyssa Blackwell
- A live and recorded Maker Chat Q&A for our community to join in creative conversation
- Tools and materials to make a whisk broom
The specialty tools and materials in our broom making kit include:
- 1 pound of broomcorn
- 60 broomcorn stalks (for the woven handle)
- 7/8-by-14-inch pine handle (to be used as a foot break)
- 30 yards of slate, black, and mist broom cording
Learn more about the details of this project on Alyssa’s Featured Maker Page.
- Make Time:
- A couple of hours
- Kit Type: